HOLY MONASTERY OF TAXIARCHES
Agios Taxiarchis monastery in Glossa: The Agios Taxiarchis monastery is in an area full of pine-trees near Glossa (on the road towards the Perivoli beach) and it has a view towards the northern side of the island. Today it is deserted, but it belonged to the Xiropotamos monastery on Mount Athos, and it had many monks.
The monastery seems to have been built in 1672 and renovated in the years of Turkish occupation.
In the courtyard of the monastery there are remnants of an early Christian temple of 672 AD.
Besides the courtyard, there is also an ossuary saved to date, while south of the monastery there is a spring with a plentiful supply of water.
from the book by Ad. Sampson “Skopelos – Historical and Archaeological narration”
Items have also been used from texts by theologian Kon. Syros
14 th - 17 th century
It was built in 1672
THE MONASTERY CELEBRATES
ON JUNE 24
Metochi of the Monastery of Xiropotamos of Mount Athos
April - Sep 31
09:00 - 13:00 & 17:00 - 19:00
By road & Trail
Near Glossa on the way to Perivoliou beach