THE MONASTERIES AND CHURCHES OF OUR ISLAND
HOLY MONASTERIES & CHURCHES
On Skopelos there are many important monasteries in wonderful places with breathtaking views, with a great architectural and historical interest and important relics.
Around the town there are around 14 and on the whole island over 40. Many of them are on the north side of the mountain Palouki..
The most important are:
Monastery of Evangelismos, Monastery of Metamorphosi tou Sotiros, Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi or Panagia in Livadi, Monastery of Agia Varvara, Monastery of Timios Prodromos, Monastery of Agios Taxiarchis in Glossa, Monastery of Agios Efstathios, Agia Moni.
We must not forget the deserted monasteries Agios Taxiarchis o Vatos, Agios Ioannis in Kotronaki and Agios Georgios, as well as the cave hermitages at Panormos, in the area of Loutsa and Limnonari.
The deep religious feeling of the Skopelos residents can be understood by the number of churches and monasteries that have been built on the island.
It has a wood-carved, gilded, high temple with rich decoration with tendrils, birds, animals and 15 icons with large feasts, while it consists of two pieces, one 14th and one 18th century and the frescoes are of the 14th-15th century.
According to the inscription, it was built in 1648. The church is a basilica of single-aisle type with a dome and renovated probably in the year 1697.
The monastery of Evangelistria (Virgin Mary) is located on the mountainside of Palouki - at a place with great views, and its fortress-like appearance is associated with pirate raids.
it was built in the late 15th and early 16th century. The monastery is a dependency of the Xenofon Monastery of Mount Athos. Archaeological investigations deem this monastery as one of the oldest of the island, although this was not identified by an ownership inscription.
Outside the city, 4 km SW, is the church of Saint Riginos, patron saint of Skopelos. According to legend, it was built in 1728, probably on the remains of an older Byzantine monastery. The present church was built in 1960.
The Agios Taxiarchis monastery is in an area full of pine-trees near Glossa (on the road towards the Perivoli beach) and it has a view towards the northern side of the island.In the courtyard of the monastery there are remnants of an early Christian temple of 672 AD.
The monastery is located west of the town of Skopelos, on the hill Revithi, in Karia. Agia Moni belonged to the Manolakis family, which in 1670 donated it to the Monastery of Megisti Lavra on Mount Athos.
The church is a single-aisled basilica with a dome. The temple dates back to the early 18th c. and bears floral decoration and old icons.
The church of St. John was built in the 18th c. and it belonged to the monastery of Lavra on Mount Athos.
The church is a single-aisled basilica.
Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi or Panagia at Livadi: The Monastery of Panagia Livadiotissa is located in Ampeliki - near the town of Skopelos and it became a dependency of Agia Katerini of Sina.
The Monastery of Agios Taxiarchis was built on the eastern foothills of Mount Palouki. Located in the shadow of a sycamore tree and “cooled” by two springs.
This basilica, in accordance with a marble inscription, was probably constructed in the place of a previous one, by Anastassios, the bishop of the city, and inaugurated in the year 1078.