THE HISTORY OF OUR ISLAND
The ancient name of the island of Skopelos was Peparithos, from the name of Peparithos ( Peparethos ), brother of Stafylos, its first resident. This name is also mentioned in Thucydides.
The island also participates in Olympic games. Indeed, in 569 BC, Agnon, an athlete from Peparithos, won in the event of stadio (race), and to honour him, the Bay of Agnontas was given his name.
In late Classical and Hellenistic times, Peparithos cuts copper coins and it seems that the trading of wine –the famous peparithos wine- is still prospering.
Following the Takeover of Constantinople by the Franks, the island was conquered by Venetians and it became part of the Naxos Dukedom. Then it was taken over by the Imperial House of the Gizis up to 1276, a date when Skopelos comes back under Byzantium.
The island portrayed a severe separation among social classes. The ruling class were the large landowners and the shipowners of the island The largest part of the population was made up of small-scale farmers, workers and sailors.
The historical monuments on Skopelos are several, but they are not as organized as they should be. You can, however, combine beautiful walks with a search for these areas, such as for example the carved graves in Sentoukia, in the area Karya internally on the island.